Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Pandan Kaya Cake
Ingredients for cake:
250 gm. Optima flour or sponge cake mix flour
3 Tbsp. Pandan juice
a little green pandan paste or green colouring
3 Tbsp. Thick coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. cornoil
900 ml. Coconut milk ( squeeze from 1 1/2 coconuts - add water)
9 Tbsp. Hoen kwee flour / green pea flour
1 Tbsp. Instant Jelly Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
a little green colouring
a little pandan paste
180 gm. sugar
60 gm. Dessicated coconut for covering cake
Method for cake:
(1) Whisk optima flour and eggs till light.
(2) Add pandan juice and continue to beat till fluffy.
(3) Add green colouring and pandan paste.
(4) Fold in coconut milk and corn oil and mix till combined.
(5) Pour into a 9" round cake tin and bake at 175C for about 40 to 45 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out dry.
(6) Slice on wire rack to cool before slicing into 3 or 4 slices , your preference.
Method for pandan Kaya:
(1) Put all the ingredients into a pot and stir till evenly mixed.
(2) Cook over medium heat till mixture thickens and smooth.
(3) Place a slice of sponge cake into a cake ring, pour in some kaya and continue the same process till the last layer is covered with pandan kaya.
(4) Leave aside to cool and set before chilling in the fridge.
(5) Remove cake from cake ring and cover the whole cake with dessicated coconut.
(6) Slice and serve chilled.